Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Only two more days

I just can't wait for Friday to roll around. This weekend is the annual GHEA conference and it's something the whole family looks forward to. On Friday morning there will be a HUGE used book sale where I hope to find many things on my list for school next year.

I started a new book last week called Homeschooling and Loving It, which prompted me to ask the kids, "If you could learn about anything you wanted to, what would it be?" I was a bit surprised with their answers...I guess I just didn't know what to expect. Well, Jacob's answer wasn't suprising, and if you know him you won't be surprised either. He said, "I don't really want to learn about anything." After some prompting and suggestions, he decided that computer animation sounds like fun (he wants to learn how to make Lego movies). So, I did some checking and found out that there's a Beginning 3-D Computer Animation Camp for kids in June, and Jon said we should sign him up! When I asked Caleb what he would like to learn about, he didn't hesitate and said, 'Rocks.' Rocks? Really? I never would've guessed that! So I went to our library's website and reserved several geology books for kids including an experiment book called Geology Rocks that Caleb is now devouring. Abbi did not hesitate with her answer of 'horses.' Horses. Two years ago I bought a horse curriculum with Abbi in mind and I've look through it several times, but have never begun it. So, I got it out and reserved the first few books we'd need from the library. I handed the curriculum guide to Abbi and said, 'have fun!' And boy, is she!
I love to see the kids get excited about learning! This year we're using Sonlight for History and I had purchased some kits to go along with it that were full of projects to do to help bring it to life. The projects have all been wonderful...but did I take any photos of the kids actually doing them? Nope...I thought about my camera too late. The kids have made Buffalo Tooth Necklaces, Talking Feathers, Hornbooks, Pomanders, Sachets, and more. We're currently learning about Lewis & Clark. On Monday the kids' project was to figure out the cipher that Thomas Jefferson created when he sent Lewis & Clark out. They spent hours making and breaking secret messages to each other using Jefferson's cipher. How fun!Above - the kids displaying some of the projects they've made...

Below - Jacob's Talking Feather, Abbi's Leather Pouch and Caleb's Buffalo Tooth Necklace

So, what's on my list for the used book sale?

Here are a few things that I'm really hoping to find...

Sonlight Core 4

Total Language Plus

Teaching Textbooks Pre Algebra (for Jacob)

Noeo Science Physics II

Next year is gonna be great!

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying reading your blog. Looks like the kids are having fun. Have fun at the conference!

    ReplyDelete