Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ice Skating

I had promised the kids that I would take them ice skating during our Christmas break. They had never gone before and I thought that would be a fun, wintery thing to do. After seeing how much Leanna enjoys physical activity (she really doesn't like to sit around for too long), I asked Katie if she and the kids would like to come too. She said YES! Between Katie's and my own schedule we had to keep pushing the day back, but FINALLY it worked out and last Thursday we met at the Ice Forum in Duluth for a fun, cold morning of ice skating. We got there before Katie did, and the kids were so excited that we decided not to wait for them to get started. I told the kids to feel free to hug the wall their first few laps around the rink (which is what I planned to do the whole time!) to get comfortable on their skates. Well, on their first lap they got about halfway around the rink and were doing just fine. No wall hugging for them! Below - Abbi and cute, little Ellie (Katie's daughter)
Below - Caleb and Preston (Katie's son)
Leanna told us that she had never been ice skating before. After she got her skates on, she was holding my arm and acting like she was afraid to go out onto the ice. So I said, "watch me" and stepped out while holding onto the wall. I turned around to tell her to just hold onto the wall but she was already halfway around the rink! I don't think she ever even touched the wall!
After seeing how well Leanna did on the ice, Katie asked her again if she had been ice skating before. Leanna insisted this was her first time. I almost believed her...until she started gliding around one on foot! First time? I don't think so! She did say she rollerblades though. Having never been rollerblading, I have no idea how it compares to ice skating.
The above picture makes me smile every time I look at it! After our skating session was over, the younger kids went to investigate the video games while us moms got everything together and made lunch plans. While we were all doing this, Leanna was busy rearranging Jacob's face. It's become one of her favorite past-times!

1 comment:

  1. A good winter activity! We went there a few weeks ago and I was definitely a wall hugger. Kids seem to catch on much faster. :-)

    ReplyDelete