Monday, April 4, 2011

Waiting

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
Psalm 27:14

The average person spends anywhere from 3 to 5 years of their life waiting. We wait in grocery lines. We wait at the doctor's office. We wait while our gas tank fills up. We wait at the bank. We wait at the airport. We wait at restaurants. We wait at stop lights and traffic signals. We wait for ketchup..."Good things come to those who wait." We wait. We wait. We wait.

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.
Psalm 37:7

7 weeks ago today, Leanna signed a piece of paper sealing her future and ours. She cannot be adopted internationally because of that particular signature on that particular piece of paper. For over a year, Leanna waited for us to come get her and bring her home. She would email me weekly (sometimes every other day) asking when we're coming. How much longer? She was waiting. She was impatient. For over a year we waited to bring her home. We worked, we filled out paperwork until our fingers cramped, we held several yard sales to raise money, we prayed, we cried, we toiled. While doing all these things, we waited. We should be experts at waiting by now, don't you think?

Well, we're not. At least, I'm not.

I'm tired of waiting.

But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
Romans 8:25

7 weeks ago today, on Valentine's Day, I saw sweet Vera's picture for the very first time. And I cried. I knew she was ours. I knew we were supposed to go get her. Although the timing was questionable...I mean, though we knew it was coming, Leanna had signed the paper just that morning making a permanent decision that she would not be coming home with us. It was an emotional day all around. But there was no doubt that God had orchestrated it all. Leanna may never be an Evans legally, but she will forever be loved by us and considered our daughter and sister. Vera, though...Vera is who we're waiting for now.

Waiting.

The most difficult, frustrating part of adoption is the waiting.

Why must it take so long?

I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in His word I put my hope.
Psalm 130:5

We're waiting for ONE more document for our dossier. ONE. The Golden Ticket. Approval from immigration. I called USCIS this morning to find out how long our approval will take. We've already been approved. But we were approved to adopt a teenager from Russia. So, our approval requires some changes. I was hoping this would be quick turnaround. I mean, we've already been approved...just a few minor changes need to happen. I was told today that the normal processing time is 75 days and not to call back for a status until that much time has passed.

75 days. Two and a half months.

Seriously?

Waiting.

But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord,
I wait for God my savior; my God will hear me.
Micah 7:7

Vera turns 6 this week. Six years old. Vera has been waiting SIX YEARS for a family. She's been waiting SIX YEARS for a mommy and daddy. She's been waiting SIX YEARS for a sister and brothers who will love her and dote on her and treat her like the princess we're sure she is. SIX YEARS for snuggles on the couch and being read to by mommy. SIX YEARS to be held by her daddy's strong, gentle arms. SIX YEARS for hugs and kisses and prayers and getting tucked in at bedtime. SIX YEARS for a birthday party and cake and candles and presents. SIX YEARS to discover what the world is like outside her orphanage.

6 years. 2,190 days. And now she's supposed to wait another 75 days?

We're praying it isn't so. We're praying for God to move and get our approval to us pronto. Six years is long enough to wait, don't you think?

We wait in hope for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love be with us, Lord,
even as we put our hope in you.
Psalm 33:20-22

We would be honored if you would say a quick prayer right now asking that we get our I-171H approval as quickly as possible. Vera is waiting. After 2,190 days, she shouldn't have to wait any longer.

Update: The VERY DAY I posted this, our I-171H approval arrived in the mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment