Friday, February 4, 2011

What you do with Faith

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Faith has always been my #1 spiritual gift. Jon and I have done countless tests and questionnaires about our spiritual gifts. No matter how I answer, faith is always at the very top.

But what do you do with faith?

I used to wish I had a different #1 gift. One that I knew what to do with. Like teaching. Teaching is obvious. If you're gifted at teaching, you teach. Simple. Or healing. If you have the gift the healing, you heal. If your gift is giving, you give. Why couldn't I have been given a gift like that? Where it's obvious what to do with it.

But faith? What do you do with faith? How do you exercise that gift and put it into practice?

I have asked God that question many times. I want to use the gifts He has given me. I don't want to waste it. It's a gift from God, afterall.

I suppose I can look back and see different ways that I have used my gift of faith. Like when we moved from Illinois to Texas. Within days of becoming a Christian, I KNEW we were supposed to move to Texas. I just knew it. I went around telling all my friends and co-workers that we were leaving Illinois. While Jon panicked because people I worked with knew people he worked with and he didn't want his boss to hear he was leaving. We had planned a trip to go visit Jon's sister in Houston and just to shut me up...uh...I mean humor me, Jon had taken a day off from work to make some calls and see if he could line up a few job interviews while we were there. I will never forget walking into the house that day after work. I was greeted by a very excited Jon. "You were right, honey! We are moving to Texas!" Forget interviews. He had several job offers just over the phone. And several people (including Jon) thought I was crazy when I started talking about moving to Texas!

1 Corinthians 12:7 - 11 says, "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines."

'...for the common good...He distributes them to each one just as he determines.'

Romans 12:6 - 8 says, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

'According to the grace given to each of us.'

Hopefully you've read my previous post. If you haven't, you should. The rest of this will make a whole lot more sense.

I have written several posts over the last year about how I don't know where the money will come from to adopt Leanna. I mean, $50,000? That's a little insane. I readily admit that. But I always had faith that God WOULD provide it. I just didn't know HOW He would do it. Although that sometimes caused me to ask questions, I never really doubted that God would provide all the money we need. Should I have doubted? Well, you be the judge.

The events of this week...God's awesome provision and me sharing the story...His story...has prompted many of you to write to me and comment about my 'amazing faith.' It's made me wonder...is my faith really that amazing? And if it is, why is it? And then it hit me! Just today it hit me and I had to give thanks all over again for the events of this week. I'm using my spiritual gift! Hallelujah! Perhaps one of the reasons God put me on this journey was so that I can put my gift into practice! He already knew I longed to use my gift of faith. Maybe my faith isn't so much amazing as it is curious to those who've been given different gifts. I often wonder how people with the gift of hospitality are so...well, hospitable. I fail miserably at hospitality...because that's not my gift! So many people have written to me this week and shared how they needed to hear this story. They've been encouraged in their own journey with the Lord by hearing of His faithfulness to Leanna and our family. Their own faith has been given a boost. Oh, how I praise Him even more for how He is working in the lives of others through this. That is just icing on the cake!

I knew some of you thought I was nuts (including Jon...so don't feel too bad)...a few of you have admitted it to me over the past few days...and I smile. Yes, I knew. When those eyebrows go up, I know what you're thinking. "She's crazy! Does she really expect God to rain down money from heaven?!" It's okay. I forgive you. :) God didn't rain down money from heaven, but He certainly WOWed us all, didn't He? 26 families THAT I DON'T KNOW donated money to our adoption fund Monday and Tuesday. I don't usually like to use numbers because every donation we've received means SO much to us. But some of these donations from complete strangers are big...several are $100, one is $250, one is $500! From strangers! One of the $1,000 donations is from a family that we met once, maybe twice. There can be no explanation other than GOD DID THIS! Would you give $100 or $500 or $1,000 to someone you've never met just because you read a good story? That's the Holy Spirit at work, people! And I would bet those people who gave have the gift of giving!

So I guess exercising faith and using my spiritual gift means to believe even when others think I'm crazy. To trust what God is telling me even when my loves ones with the very best intentions urge me to take matters into my own hands and do something - do something MORE than pray. To not look at my circumstances, but fix my eyes on Jesus. To remember that what is impossible to man IS possible with God.

I do need to say though, that the only reason I can even have this faith is because GOD IS FAITHFUL!

Psalm 100
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth!
Serve the LORD with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
Know that the LORD, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the LORD is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his FAITHFULNESS to all generations.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me that faith is a gift. I mean, I knew that already but seeing the strength of your faith is inspiring. I am a little brain weary, so I hope you understand what I am trying to say. :-)
    I am very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete