Saturday, October 10, 2009

Caleb's Story Starter

I know you've all been waiting for Caleb's Story Starter after reading Abbi's yesterday. Remember that all their stories started the same way...to refresh your memory, a father and child go fishing. The father catches a trout. As he's reeling it in, a fish hawk comes out of nowhere, grabs the trout and flies off taking the father's fishing rod with it. The next Saturday, the two head fishing again but this time they take their dog, Chipper, along...so the kids have to finish the story. What will happen this time?

And here is Caleb's take on the rest of the story...

Just then, Chipper saw a fish and jumped in after it. Of course he caught it. “Look’s like we’re going to catch a lot of fish today,” dad said. Just then a bear came out of the woods. He smelled fish. Chipper came to the rescue and fought off the bear. D ad said, “Let’s fish.” I said, “Okay.” A few minutes later I caught something! As Dad walked over, he said “Let me help you, Son.” Just then I pulled out a huge trout. Dad smiled as he said, “Well, I guess you don’t need my help anymore.” Just then Chipper saw a sea turtle. He got ready to pounce. When the turtle got close, Chipper turned, jumped in and caught it. Just then another dog came up and tried to grab the turtle and did. Chipper and the other dog played tug-of-war with the turtle for a few seconds. Then they both dropped it and it landed back in the water unhurt. “I don’t think we are going to catch any more fish. Let’s go home,” Dad suggested. I agreed. “Where’s Chipper?” I asked. “Let’s go look for him.” Just then we heard a splash. We turned around and saw Chipper in the water with a fish in his mouth. ”Come on, Chipper,” I said. Then we marched off to the van with two fish. They would make a delicious dinner that night.

I was very proud of Caleb for this story. Writing is one of those things that his APD tends to hinder. Caleb was the last one finished and didn't really complain until it was time for the final draft. He's still learning grammar, punctuation, and capitalization and really struggled with that part. I could tell that he was getting frustrated when we did the 'fixing.' I just kept telling him that it was okay and these are all things he's still learning. I'm currently reading "When the Brain Can't Hear" by Teri James Bellis and am learning so much about Caleb's brain and how it works. It's fascinating to me.

Anyway, next time I'll share Jacob's story with you. Don't miss it!

1 comment:

  1. Good job Caleb! I know, Austin did his first "essay" recently and was very unhappy with the revision process. I think it is tougher for boys in general.

    ReplyDelete