Friday, May 20, 2011

What's in a Name

We finally decided what Vera's middle name will be. It was a big decision. I mean, she'll be stuck with it for the rest of her life. We want to give her a name with meaning. And there were 5 of us in the discussion. We had a great time throwing out ideas and looking up the meanings of different names.

Do you remember what the name 'Vera' means? Faith.

Before we knew that, when we were discussing her middle name, I told Jon that the only name that kept coming to me was Faith. Then we found out Vera means faith. We still like the sound of Vera Faith (a lot), but then her name would be like Faith Faith. Which isn't terrible or anything, but...

As we were throwing out names, we each had a favorite. We wanted to pick a name that could end up being her first name in case she ever decides she doesn't want to be called by her birth name. I guess it's pretty common for kids adopted from overseas to eventually want nothing to do with their birth country, including their birth name. So, we're thinking of names that we can say with Vera. We'll call her both names until we know what she wants to be called.

Anyway...
Jon still likes Faith. I do too. Vera Faith.
I also like Grace, which means Gift of God. It fits, don't you think? Vera Grace.
I also like Hope, but Jon didn't care for it. Vera Hope.
I also thought of Joy, but had mixed feelings since that is the middle name we gave Leanna. But then I thought it would be neat for them to share that. Jon thought it was too cliche, whatever that means. Vera Joy.
Jacob really likes Kathryn, which means pure. He kept saying, "What about Kathryn?" Vera Kathryn. That works, don't you think?
Caleb likes Kate, a form of Kathryn. Vera Kate. (Very cute!) He also likes Hannah and Mary. Vera Hannah. Vera Mary. Just doesn't sound right.
Abbi likes Kate and Katie, also a form of Kathryn. Vera Katie. Hmmm...
Jon didn't care for Kathryn. I thought it was cute.

We must have tried at least 30 different names to go with Vera. Many of them we laughed about. Many of them I said, "I am NOT calling her THAT!"

And then...someone said THE name.
We all said it a few times.
We all smiled.
We knew.
We found the winner!

So, her name will be...

Now, did you really think I was going to tell you?! No way! There has to be some sort of suspense for you! You already know it's a girl and you already know what she looks like!

Just know that her middle name is very sweet and simple and put together with Vera is full of meaning to us. You'll know why when you know her middle name. Until then...

4 comments:

  1. That is just wrong! :-)

    But, I guess we can wait - praying for you to have a safe (and fast) trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thats just mean, ya big bully! Just kidding.
    But I DO like Vera Kate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's mean! :P
    I guess I will wait patiently. :)

    ReplyDelete