Saturday, May 9, 2009

Jacob's 12th Birthday

My oldest son turned 12 on Wednesday.
Where has the time gone? I surely do not know...

I don't know when or why this tradition began, but the kids love to make their own birthday cake. They get to choose the flavor and icing and away they go. This year Jacob chose yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I wish the photo below showed the detail better...my perfectionist son can't even frost a cake without being totally perfectionist about it...it was quite tasty though!

I couldn't believe that I timed my camera perfectly to capture this expression on Jacob (below). For a few weeks I had been telling him that this wouldn't be a 'normal' birthday. 'With paycuts at Kenwood, we just couldn't afford to get Jacob a big gift this year.' Which he seemed to be completely fine with. Another of our traditions is that the birthday kids gets to choose where we go out to eat that night for dinner. All day long Jacob had been saying we were going to Outback Steakhouse, but when Jon got home he changed his mind and said he wanted to go Johnny Carino's. We hadn't been there since Jacob's 10th birthday when Aaron and Sera came for a visit. When I found that out, I decided to have Jacob open his gift before we left (Johnny Carino's just happens to be right by the Lego Store)...I got him a Star Wars Pocket Model Trading Card game and the surprise was a Lego gift card attached to it. Jacob was not expecting the gift card AT ALL and was shocked when he opened it. I LOVE this picture of him. It made me think about Matthew 7:11 "If you know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" It was so fun to surprise Jacob in this way. I pondered how much God must enjoy giving us those extra little surprises that we do not expect.

So, with Lego gift card in hand, we headed to dinner. And OH MY GOODNESS! It was incredibly yummy. Next time you go to Johnny Carino's, order the Fire Sticks! Truly, you will not be sorry. They say they're a little spicy, but none of us thought they were. Delicious!After dinner we indeed headed to the Lego Store so Jacob could purchase his heart's desire. I meant to take his picture as he was paying for it, but was talking to several of the employees and missed it. So I took his picture just outside the store.

We left the mall to discover that God had a birthday present for Jacob, too...

It might be a little hard to see, but it was a DOUBLE rainbow! Gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment