Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Jesse Tree Devotional for December 19th

December 19
Waiting
Today’s Reading: Habakkuk 2:1, 3:16-19
I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.

When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops. Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

‘Tis the season of waiting. Countdown calendars, numbering days left, anxiously ticking off hours, all the world awaiting that grand and glorious day.

But do we stand on the watchtower, up on the ramparts, eyes fixed on the horizon, scanning for signs of…You? Is all the world on the edge of its seat, dangling with bated breath…craning for the first glimpse of God on history’s stage? Is my heart pining for You, Lord Jesus?

“Though the fig tree does not bud, and there are no grapes on the vine” (Habakkuk 3:17), we only have eyes—and a longing heart--- for You, Lord. You, Lord, are whom we await and it is You who gives us Joy.

Lord, may I be up on the heights, desperate for the coming of
He who brings Joy to the World .

No comments:

Post a Comment