Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Gingerbread Houses

We had a super-fun afternoon yesterday! Ever since we moved here 5 years ago, one of our favorite Christmas traditions has been getting together with our homeschool co-op and making gingerbread houses. This is one of those activities that we all look forward to each year. We actually switched co-ops this year and this wasn't a tradition of our new co-op. But a few of our awesome moms decided to host the event for us...I was so glad! It's much more fun to do this with a group of friends!First, the kids set to work creating a Winter Wonderland. I had covered one of my cookie sheets with foil and they used white icing to cover the whole thing. This year, instead of making a gingerbread house, the kids wanted to make a mini village. So instead of decorating one big house, they had 5 little buildings instead. I must admit, it was pretty darn cute! Now, before you go thinking I made the gingerbread...I did not. This all came from a handy little kit from Wal-Mart. All we had to do was assemble the pieces and decorate them. We assembled everything as soon as we got up (in hindsight, I really should've had my coffee first) as it had to set for 3 hours before decorating.
As you can see, much thought and work went into each little structure...

Ta-Da!

Their little village turned out so stinkin' cute!

Above - Abbi and Bethany

Below - Jacob, Elliott, CalebWe're so thankful for friends!

Thank you Tisha, Mitzi, Kathy and everyone else who helped organize this fun afternoon for us!

4 comments:

  1. Amy, that was me, Mitzi above. That is Caleb's blog. He was signed in from this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also thankful to have such great friends, very happy that you were able to come. I agree it is so much more fun with a group.

    Oh, and I love their village - especially the fact of how well they worked together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you please send me the pic of Alex, Abbi, and Savannah? :)

    ReplyDelete