Thursday, December 3, 2009

Band Winter Concert 2009

On the evening of November 23rd, we all dressed up and headed to the kids' Winter Concert for band. We are part of Grace Notes Homeschool Conservatory this year. Every Monday there are classes for Chorus, Recorder, Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Band, Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Strings along with Jazz Band and Marching Band classes. This is our first year to participate in band, and the kids and I are LOVING it! For those of you who don't know, Jacob plays the alto saxophone, Caleb plays the snare drum and Abbi is playing the flute. They have come quite a long way since band started in September. The kids are very diligent about practicing every day and I am pleased to report that the 'noise' is beginning to sound much more like music.
The kids got to wear these darling tuxedo shirts for the concert. The band certainly looked ready for a great performance!

The kids waiting their turn to warm up.
I took these shots while the Beginner Band warmed up. I'm very glad I took this photo opportunity. I wouldn't have been able to get very good pictures while they performed. Just FYI, there are 26 students in Beginner Band.
The kids' band director is fondly referred to as Papa George. He was a tuba player in the Navy and is just wonderful with the kids! We are so blessed to have him as our band director!
The concert began with the Chorus group.
Then we heard from the Beginner Strings class. I don't know if you can tell, but there is a mom smack-dab in the middle of the photo. You will see parents (moms & dads both) in several of the photos. I think that is so cool!

Above - the Beginner Band playing Good King Wenceslas
Below - the Beginner Band playing Jolly Old St. Nicholas
Next we heard from the Intermediate Strings class. After their first song, Jon and I both said "WOW!" so I figured I better record at least one of their songs.
After that, the Advanced Strings class played for us (above) followed by the Intermediate Band class (below). If I remember right, there are two dads in this class.
We also got to hear the Advanced Band play. There are 3 moms in this class.
I'm putting this video here for Caleb (below). He loved hearing the drummers in this class! It does sound like they're having fun, doesn't it?
We got home pretty late and still had packing to do since we left early the next morning for Illinois. But I wouldn't let the kids get their jammies on until I took photos of them in front of the Christmas tree. It's not often they are this dressed up!

2 comments:

  1. They look so cute!! When you have a chance, will you please email me more info on this music program--where it is, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks wonderful...and so do the kids. The boys have always wanted music lessons though we have never really thought about band. Maybe a thought for next year.

    ReplyDelete