Friday, March 14, 2008

Letters of Grandma & Grandpa

As people at my grandparents church learned of their passing, some sent emails of condolence. I asked the pastor if he would forward some of them to me. He had a read a few at the memorial service and they were so special. Here are a few...

* I will miss the Eder's. It is just sad to see both of them go so quickly. I know we will see them again in heaven and they will there waiting to greet us like they've done all the years at FBC.

* My friendship with Virginia began sixty years ago when we met at a circle meeting. Kermit and I had recently moved to Everett and I was invited to attend a circle, having already been attending services. Quite quickly a bond was formed with Elayne Funk, Virginia and I. One that has lasted all these years. Church was our family. Through the Clipper Class we met other wonderful friends, not only participating in Bible study with good teachers but also creating a social life. There were parties, retreats at Burton, camping trips. Our children grew up together. The Funks, Eders and Millers all lived in adjacent neighborhoods and Elayne, Virginia and I met for coffee every morning after the kids had left for school and the husbands to work, and spent a short hour together before Virginia left for her church secretarial position. Our husbands got along well and there were weekend camping trips with Walt building huge bonfires and on Sunday morning Frank leading in a church service. Of course we women did the cooking and tending the littlest kids. There were eight of our children: the Funk two, the Eder four and the Miller four. In 1971 the Eders and Millers spent a month driving and discovering Europe for the first time. It was quite an adventure traveling low budget. We came home with many slides and fun memories. I am missing, already, my special friend with whom we could talk to each other about anything and exchange our reading libraries. Virginia was blessed with a very short transition time from illness to life with the Father. I praise the Lord for that.

* Initially when I read this, I wanted to tear up and cry…but then I reflected on “Mr. Frank” and our families’ first visit to the front entrance of FBC on an early Sunday morning where a tall, thin, older gentleman greeted us and made us feel so welcome that we knew we were home; it was almost like being in the South. We knew immediately that Christ had brought us to this door and His light shown from the heart and face of this man. Mr. Frank always remembered our names, our children’s names, regarded and had time for each of us, was never in a hurry or too busy for us, even when he wasn’t feeling well, and had a concern about everything in our families’ lives and shared what he was praying for us about…every single Sunday. Mr. Frank was the most dedicated Christian to our communities’ lives and our family rejoices that both he and Ms. Virginia will now certainly reap what they sowed on this earth as they now stand together, before our Father, and are told what good servants they were and a job well done! We love you Mr. Frank and Ms. Virginia. Thank you for being an amazing brother and sister.

* Tanya and I LOOOOOOOVE the Eders. They have been such dear friends. They have been some of my most favorite people at FBC!!!

* Frank and Virginia were the picture of a Christ centered marriage. Worshiping and serving together they are a picture of God’s plan for marriage; a true hope and inspiration to all of us to put Jesus first and experience God’s blessing in our relationships.

* From the pastor: Your grandparents reflected the life of Jesus to our congregation and the community of Everett. My own grandparents were the most influential persons of my own family when it came my spiritual life. I know that my grandmother prayed for me every day and told me that God's hand was on my life. Your own grandparents have passed on the spiritual baton to you. Be very proud of your spiritual heritage and be encouraged that Frank and Virginia are cheering you on in the grandstand of heaven as you run the race that God has set before you. Run faithfully. I have prayed and will continue to pray for your whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment